Friday, August 21, 2009

Roads To Nowhere

Time to drive into the middle of nowhere and find ourselves. In the second half of 1997, I put 30,000 miles on my car - and I wasn't always the one driving on these road trips. [Maris] and I fell in love with much of West Virginia, starting with the Scenic US Route 50 and venturing southward from there. Above, I'm pretty sure the two opposing road signs are trying to tell us "Look! The Center of The Universe! It's right here! Where are you going?"

Scenic US Rt. 50 - somewhere in West Virginia in 1997. Not always sunny, but trust me when I tell you it's the kind of road on which you'd want to shoot sports car advertisements.

"Another Planet's Barn, WV - 1997." A companion photo to one from my last post, this scene was downright surreal to us, as we had just emerged from hours of driving through some deep, dark woods.

"Cave, WV - 1997."

From Point of Rocks, MD: "Leaves in ballast." Look - dewdrops!

"Church and Fallen Leaves, WV - 1997." I'm too lazy to look up the location in [Maris'] notes, but this is one of our favorite shots, and one where we began to seriously collaborate on composition.

"Cass Scenic Railroad's #2." Shot as it pushed a trainload of tourists from Cass, WV to the summit of Bald Knob in 1997.

Another big-time collaborative effort, this one from an October, 1997 trip to Snowshoe, WV. "Barn and Tree Near Snowshoe." We're not into witty titles, as you might have guessed by now.

"Road from Spruce Knob to Nowhere." This shot is from our second visit to Spruce Knob (West Virginia's highest point). On the first trip, we took a wrong turn leaving the mountain and really did end up on a road to nowhere - and with Very Little gas. I still don't know where we were for about 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment