Friday, October 23, 2009

Falling For Cass

Fall, despite its tendency to become Winter, has its moments. In our 1997 Autumn of Pure Wanderlust, my soul mate and I found our way to Cass, WV. Cass was at one time a busy little logging town, but by the time I first visited there with my father in the late 70s, its Shay-locomotive-powered mountain railroad had begun to carry only tourists. Fall is obviously the best time to make this trip, as evidenced by the panorama above, shot from the train about halfway up Bald Knob from Cass.

On our way from the hotel at Snow Shoe to Cass, this fog-filled valley caught our attention and insisted that we photograph it. I especially like the lone tree silhouetted against the fog in the second shot (center, near the bottom of the frame).

Two shots of Cass Scenic RR Shay #2. The detail shot shows the builder's plate: Lima Locomotive Works, 1928. If only my Chevy would last as long.

Okay, the two shots above were mistakes (I forgot to adjust my shutter speed for the wooded portion of the climb up the mountain), but I really like the resulting images. I'm not sure I could depict the motion of the train ride any better, and if I ever return to Cass, I'm going to be trying a whole bunch more shots like these.

Back out into the sunshine, we were treated to colors like this everywhere we looked.

Shay #4, which had helped #2 get us up the hill, cut off the train on the fly as we reached the summit. Smooth as silk.

Red cabooses stored at Cass, WV. Gotta love a good caboose!

Okay, friends. That'll do for now. That'll do...

No comments:

Post a Comment