Thursday, October 28, 2010

High Iron and Low Paws - Magnolia, WV

We interrupt the 2004 sojourn through Maine for this not-at-all important rail fan post... Last Thursday, my outrageously intrepid little old Chevy and I felt our way along the back "roads" of the Magnolia, WV area once again - in search of new vantage points for shooting the action on the former B&O. We got more than we had bargained for. Above, the westbound container train Q139 approaches the Magnolia Cut...

... and enters the Stuart Tunnel. I've heard that CSX will be doing some major work on the four tunnels in the Magnolia-Paw Paw area, enlarging them to accommodate trains like this one, but with double-stacks of containers. From a business perspective, I get it, but it will be strange to see these 100-year old tunnels "modernized."

Amtrak's train #30, the eastbound "Capitol Limited," flies past the venerable (and also soon-to-be-replaced) signals east of Stuart Tunnel.

Under an improving sky, this is an eastbound local headed for Hancock, MD.

Minutes later, a westbound rumbled through, echoing nicely around the Potomac highlands.

I like tankers. What can I say?

Okay. Here's how this went: I had spent the morning being extra noisy, acutely aware that I was in bear country at a time when groggy, grumpy black bears are fattening up and preparing for their long winter naps. I was also extra-careful where I stepped, knowing there are Copperheads (maybe even a stray Timber Rattler or two) in these hills. Then, I saw an old dude and his dog, and heard numerous vehicles crunching their way up and down the dirt and gravel "roads," so I relaxed. An hour later, I saw this critter scoot out of the woods, across the clearing and tracks, then bound into the brush, headed toward the river.

My first thought was "dog," but it was not moving like a dog. I zoomed in and decided that it was a fox, apparently with its tail cut off (probably by that stupid hunting dog in "Bugs Bunny"). Even when it bounded, catlike, into the thick grass, I was oblivious as to its identity. Only when I got home and took a closer look at my pictures did I realize how close I had been to a wild Bobcat. Had I known at the time, I would have tried to get a better shot of it. I also would have needed a change of shorts.

Before heading home, I stopped at Magnolia to try to catch a westbound in afternoon sun. I did not, but this smoking lash-up of five different model locomotives roaring out of the Graham Tunnel and across the Potomac with the eastbound Q401 in tow was a nice finalé.

Ciao, Magnolia. I'm sure when I visit next Fall, it will be a very different place.

This concludes the rude rail fan interruption. We will rejoin our 2004 Maine trip next time...

1 comment: