Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lizards hate me!













Okay, maybe they can't actually hate, but they certainly do NOT care for having their pictures taken. They're skittish and shy and amazingly fast. Add the fact that I was still working with a manual-focus zoom, and you've got tough shooting. Since we don't have many lizards in Maryland, I was intrigued when I found that the Virgin Islands are literally crawling with the little buggers.

















These five lucky shots were taken on St. Thomas at a friend's house in '85 & '86. In each case, the subject was stationary for a fraction of a second. (I have dozens of blurry pics of nothing but a tail, or in some cases, just a tree trunk.)

#5 is actually a young iguana, content to sun itself on the floating chlorine dispenser in the pool. Content, that is, until I showed an interest in photographing it. They don't so much run away, as simply vanish.

These adult iguanas were living in a giant cage at CoralWorld Ocean Park, Coki Point, St. Thomas and much more relaxed about being photographed than their little lizard cousins ever are.






This last shot comes from a 2007 visit to the Cape Lookout National Seashore, North Carolina. My wife and I were there to shoot the lighthouse, but I still love the challenge that lizards present.

1 comment:

  1. Cute little buggers. I think you might find bigger and slower ones as models sometime:)

    ReplyDelete