Monday, April 27, 2009

Love At First Sight: Key West



The title of this post says it all. Well, not all, since I'm still typing, but you get the idea. I visited Key West for the first time in January of 1991, long after its best years, but before it was too far gone down the path of mainstream development and commercialization. It's a wonderfully bizarre mix of natural beauty, kitsch, eclectic creative energy and pathos. With or without a camera, I couldn't help but fall for its charm. The sunset above is a scene witnessed by countless tourists just about every evening at Mallory Square. The ship is probably the Schooner Western Union on a sunset cruise.



Sloppy Joe's Bar - Duval Street. No, it's not the original location, but it's still very cool. I was just beginning to learn to shoot at night with only available light.

Two sides of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in late afternoon. Wires and a flagpole make this building difficult to shoot, but I just love these old photos. This church sparked in me a new interest in architecture photography, which persists to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment