Monday, May 4, 2009

Life's A Beach: Rehoboth Beach, That Is!

Before we start on the trains, I thought we'd hit one more beach. For about the first 30 years of my life, I spent annual vacations in Rehoboth Beach, DE. I spent more time playing than shooting photos, but over the years I managed to come home with a few agreeable shots. I could drone on and on about my affection for this little seaside town, but I'd better just let the pictures do the talking. Above, we have the Distinctive Family Umbrella, at dusk, in 1987.


This late-afternoon shot of the Oak Avenue dune crossing was taken in 1997.

The WWII military observation towers above, which are still standing, are seen here being battered by the high surf churned up by 1999's Floyd, several hundred miles offshore and at this point a weakening tropical storm.

Kites. What can I say? Pretty! September, 2001.

Our beloved Funland's old facade, as seen in 1985.

By 2001, Funland was a mixture of the old rides and games we'd known as children, and the big bad modern attractions required to keep the park in business. This long exposure actually captures some of each.

One ride will never be replaced - the carousel. This may not technically be the park's original, but it is still the centerpiece of the indoor portion of Funland. I chose to go time-lapse on this one to give the ride a bit more drama.

Another time-lapse exposure, also from 2001, shows Rehoboth's Boardwalk, looking north toward the famous Dolle's sign.
Coming Soon: I begin to learn the art of photographing trains...

2 comments:

  1. Nice, Joe. There were some I hadn't seen. We are going back this year, thank goodness. I missed it last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take pictures! And let us all know if that place that claims to have the "original Nick's pizza" is indeed worthy.

    ReplyDelete