Monday, June 1, 2009

Close To Home

There isn't a lot to say about the pictures in this post. I grew up in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC, so a lot of my early photography centers on DC, Baltimore and the surrounding area. Not many people seem to be FROM the DC area, but I am and I still find it a great source of photographic subjects. Above: Looking north on Rockville Pike from Montrose Road in December 1992.

The Smithsonian Institution Castle - Washington National Mall - 1992

The Lincoln Memorial - Washington National Mall, 1992. I didn't want the same old postcard, so I shot through the fountains. The fencing is there to keep the public out of the fireworks launching area.

Okay, so this is pretty much the same old postcard shot of the Jefferson Memorial through cherry blossoms, across the Tidal Basin in 1997. I could not resist that pink sky. There's a reason everyone takes this type of shot: It works.

Chief Zee and 54,566 friends at RFK Stadium, cheering the Washington Redskins to a playoff victory over the Los Angeles Rams on December 28, 1986.

The north span of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge under an ominous summer sky in 1985. No, I wasn't driving. This time.

The B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, destination of my first train trip with my dad. This photo comes from over two decades later - 1996. The museum was closed, so this rainy scene was actually shot through a chain-link fence.

The Montgomery County Fair - Gaithersburg, MD - 1991. There are actually dozens of people between the camera and the ticket booth near the lower left corner, but the long exposure helped them to do what I love having people do in my photos - vanish!

No comments:

Post a Comment