Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Fort Jefferson, By [Maris]

We came away from our October 2000 visit to Fort Jefferson with enough photos that we figure it's time [Maris] had her very own post. All of these amazing shots are the work of my soul mate, her very impressive Olympus Stylus and her incredible eye. Above, a bit of the moat, the sea wall and the azure Gulf beyond.

The fort entrance, shot from her favorite vantage point.

Looking across the interior of the fort from the foot of the lighthouse. The little kid in us wants to live here and play fort for the rest of our lives.

A view of the light from the interior yard. I passed this shot by, concerned about the back-lighting. See why I married her?

The original purpose of our visit - a little black lighthouse. Who knew its setting would be so incredibly cool?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just the teeniest bit jealous of these two shots looking through the exterior and interior archways of Fort Jefferson's northwest side. They are a study in perspective, use of available light and depth of field. And no - we didn't lift them from the official website or anywhere else. And yes, these two frames rank among our very favorite photographs of anything, anywhere, ever.

Looking back at the entrance, this time from a ground-level window in the southeast corner.

If we lived in Fort Jefferson, we would have to stare at views like this every day and go absolutely mad at the sheer beauty. It's a risk we're willing to take.

Many, many thanks to [Maris] for agreeing to share her photographs with me and my friends!

Coming up next - Joe took some pictures that day, too!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you guys go on missions to take pictures of cool black lighthouses. Tell Maris that I agree with you that these are awesome shots. I particularly like the very first one with the moat, though the perspective ones are VERY cool.

    ReplyDelete