Sunday, May 23, 2010

Playing Fort In The Dry Tortugas

Finishing up an awesome morning at Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas - Here are some of Joe's shots. Theses first two are the best I could get of Dry Tortugas Light Station, on Loggerhead Key, just southwest of Fort Jefferson. It's an active Coast Guard Station and not open to the public, so I could get no closer than the fort's moat wall and my 500mm mirror reflect lens would allow. I'll go back someday, with longer lenses and maybe a boat!


Meanwhile, back to the Fort at hand...
Foliage!

Water!

Two teeny fish!

Moat wall! If I lived here, this would be my jogging track.

This fort was never actually finished. I'd like to think it's because they spent too much time on the intricate masonry work, but really I believe it's simply because the war ended.

Another view of the coolest little lighthouse. That's Bush Key in the upper-right of the frame. I could live there, too. Fewer tourists, but bugs the size of trucks, I bet.

And another look. In this one picture, we can see bricks from two different sources (red clay on top; a more sandy mixture below). The ornate masonry is also apparent, as well as a combination of decay and simply unfinished work.

One of the hundreds of "windows" on Fort Jefferson. After a couple of hours, this had forever become one of our very favorite places on the planet. It just has a kind of magic, for us.

Thanks for visiting! Next, we'll head up old Route A1A to Bahia Honda...

No comments:

Post a Comment